Slow Cooked Beef Nilaga Soup is the tastiest and the most tender beef nilaga that I ever had. It is quite obvious that 8 to 10 hours of slow cooking would extract the flavors from the beef and make it very tender to the point that it literally melts in your mouth. Although I know that slow cooking beef can make it tender, I did not expect that it could be perfectly tender and flavorful. As a result, I try to make my beef nilaga this way, if possible.
“Beautiful soup, so rich and green
Waiting in a hot tureen!
Who for such dainties would not stoop?
Soup of the evening, beautiful soup!
Beautiful soup! Who cares for fish
Game, or any other dish?
Who would not give all else for two
Pennyworth of beautiful soup?”
Lewis Carroll, ‘Alice in Wonderland’
- 3 lbs. beef chuck, cubed
- 6 cups water
- 4 pieces saba bananas, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1½ teaspoons whole peppercorn
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 cups Napa cabbage, chopped
- 1 bunch baby bok choy
- 1 cup sliced long green beans
- Combine water, beef, bananas, potato, fish sauce, and whole peppercorn in a slow cooker. Set the slow cooker or crock pot to high and slow cook for 8 to 10 hours.
- Gently stir the mixture. Add cabbage, green beans, and bok choy. Continue to cook for 12 to 15 minutes. Add more fish sauce if necessary.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve hot.
- Share and enjoy!
Let me be the first to tell you, drinking alcohol is the worst thing to do in cold weather. Hot soup is the best because the process of digesting food helps to warm you up. RIGHT?? Only the pure in heart can make a good soup… that recipes is very important especially for those people who dieting …
- In a very large stock pot, combine tomatoes, pasta sauce, tomato paste and beef broth.
- Over med/high heat, bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Wash and rough chop carrots, celery (including tops), and green peppers into 1 inch cubes.
- Wash, trim and cut green beans into 1 inch lengths.
- Chop green onion into 1/4 inch lengths.
- Add all vegetables to simmering pot.
- Stir to combine.
- Add chili powder, cayenne, mustard, salt, black pepper and paprika to soup mixture.
- Stir and simmer on low for 60 – 90 minutes.
- Soup Diet – Day #1.
- Eat as much of any fruit you want EXCEPT BANANAS.
- Eat only soup and fruit today but eat all you want.
- Day #2.
- All Veggies.
- Fill up on fresh vegetables (salads etc).
- Eat all the soup you want and have a large baked potato with butter at dinner time.
- But NO FRUIT TODAY.
- Day #3.
- Eat all the soup, fruit and veggies you want, but NO POTATOES.
- If you haven’t cheated you will have lost.
- 5-7 lbs by tomorrow morning.
- Day #4.
- Bananas and skim milk.
- Eat at least 3 bananas and all the milk you want today.
- Remember, you can have soup anytime you want.
- Day #5.
- Beef and Tomatoes.
- You can have up to 20 ounces of beef and 6 tomatoes in any style you like.
- Remember to eat soup too.
- Day #6.
- Beef and Vegetables.
- Eat all the beef and veggies you want today.
- You can have 2-3 steaks if you want, with green leafy vegetables.
- But NO POTATOES.
- Don’t forget to have soup.
- Day #7.
- Brown rice, unsweetened fruit juice, and veggies today.
- Eat all you want whenever you want and have soup as often as you can.
- The soup is the key —
- If you haven’t cheated, you should have lost 10 – 17 lbs.
- Prescription medications will not be affected by this diet, but check with you doctor before you begin the diet just to be sure.
- Remember; The more soup you eat, the more weight you will lose.