Here’s another Fancy Appetizer that is very perfect for a date or any occasions.
- Crab mixture:
- 1/2 small shallot, finely chopped
- 6 ounces fresh blue or other lump crab meat, picked over
- 1/3 cup mascarpone
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- Kosher salt
- Batter and frying:
- Vegetable oil (for frying; about 4 cups)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt plus more
- 1 cup amber lager
- Special equipment: A deep-fry thermometer
- For crab mixture:
- Combine shallot, crab meat, mascarpone, and chives in a medium bowl; season with salt. Gently fold to combine. Set aside.
- For batter and frying:
- Pour oil into a large saucepan fitted with a deep-fry thermometer to a depth of 6″. Heat oil over medium-high heat until thermometer registers 375°F.
- Meanwhile, whisk flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoons salt in a large bowl. Gradually whisk in beer, just to blend (batter will be thick).
- Working in batches of about 4 and returning oil to 375°F between batches, measure 1 heaping tablespoon crab mixture, roll into a ball, and drop into batter. Using a fork, toss to coat and lift from batter, letting excess drip back into bowl. Carefully lower beignets into oil. Fry, turning occasionally, until crisp and deep golden brown, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt.
- DO AHEAD: Crab mixture can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill.